Save Our Scotrail - Joint Letter to First Minister
Rt Hon Nicola Sturgeon MSP
The Scottish Government
St Andrew’s House
1 Regent Road
13th September 2021
Dear First Minister,
Meeting with Rail Trade Unions
We write to you to advise you that the joint rail trade unions will be demonstrating outside Bute House at 12 noon on World Car Free Day which is the 22nd of September.
We would like to request a meeting with you on this day to discuss the future of rail services in Scotland and the current issues facing our members as a result of the intransigent and hostile approach taken to industrial relations by Abellio ScotRail.
As unions representing workers across the rail network we want to see a modern, clean, green, affordable and reliable train service that meets the needs of the people, communities and businesses we serve.
The recent report written for ScotRail by Professor Iain Docherty and the draft timetable being consulted on by Abellio ScotRail will see services cut, jobs lost and the railway decline rather than expand. This will be bad for the travelling public and the economy and a backwards step towards meeting our environmental targets; ironically all being proposed in the year Scotland hosts COP26.
We are therefore seeking a meeting with you on the 22nd so we can be reassured that:
- Professor Docherty’s plans will play no part in the future of a publicly owned railway in Scotland
- ScotRail’s plan to cut 300 services a day will be rejected by Scottish Ministers
- Ministers will intervene to end the appalling attitude of Abellio ScotRail to industrial relations
- You are committed to investing in an affordable, clean, green reliable and modern railway that is publicly owned and accountable with trade union representatives on the board of any new organisation running Scotland’s railways
- The future of Scotland’s railways will see jobs retained, services improved and outsourcing ended
- Scotland’s railway will be staffed to ensure it helps all passengers feel safe and prevents anti-social behaviour
We look forward to meeting with you on the 22nd September.
Kevin Lindsay - ASLEF
Michael Hogg - RMT
Gary Kelly - TSSA
Pat McIlvogue - Unite the Union